Refugees Read is fortunate to have the support of various organizations, schools, and community members. You can do your part to help the community. Listed below are ways you can help. Whether donating books, participating in a fund raising event, or making a donation, your support is greatly appreciated.
1. Financial Support: Help support our operations to empower refugee communities through literacy and education. All donations are tax deductible. You are welcome to send a check or money order to Refugees Read. Please make sure that your return address found on the check or on a note inside of the envelope so that we may mail a receipt to you. If you have any further questions contact Justin Ralston at +1-260-316-8105 or at email@example.com for more information.
1480 E Hanselman Rd
Angola, IN 46703
2. Spread the Word: Tell other community members and organizations about Refugees Read.
3. Donate Books: ALL BOOKS WELCOME. (see below for more information)
Based on surveys and interviews with refugees and organizations in Uganda the following list has been generated to help guide donors in the types of books that are in greatest need. Topics that have (*) are particularly needed. However, these are just suggestions; all books are welcome.
*Children's books (biographies of Africans, African Americans, informational text, fiction, poetry)
*English grammar, textbooks
*French (ALL types of French books)
*Geography—East Africa, Africa, general
*History--East African, African, European, American, general
*Public health (teaching good sanitation, HIV/AIDS, other disease awareness)
*Young children's books (concept books for the very goung--ABC, numbers, colors, shapes)
Arabic books (ALL types of Arabic books)
Arabic grammar, textbooks
Biographies/Memoirs (Martin Luther King, Jr, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Barack Obama, Maya Angelou, and other great change agents, especially from Africa)
Fine arts (especially painting, drawing, and using raw materials to create art)
HIV/AIDS (counseling methods, general information)
Kiswahili (teaching to non-Kiswahili speakers, grammar, all types of books)
Young adult literature (fiction, biographies, poetry, etc.)
Donation Drop-Off Sites
Jacob Insurance Service
Attn: Susan Ralston
1220 S. Wayne St. Suite 2
Angola, IN 46703
Hamilton Jr./Sr. High School
Attn: Sharon Baker
903 S. Wayne St.
Hamilton, IN 46742
Batchelor Middle School
Attn: Maureen Davidoff
900 W Gordon Pike
Bloomington, IN 47403
Current Fundraisers Coming Soon!
2012-2013 Projected Costs
* Shipping costs of 8,000 lbs. of books and 30 computers from Indiana to Uganda
o $6,000 USD
* Refurbishing a donated building in Kiryandongo Refugee Settlement Camp and construction of a reading room
o $16,000 USD
* Literacy programs and promoting education with people with disabilities
o 3,000 USD
* Yearly operational costs of a library/computer resource center
o $10,000 USD